Friday, July 27, 2012

49ers Sign Leonard Davis

By Kalen Patrick

Today the 49ers signed Free Agent OG Leonard "Big" Davis to a 1 year contract. In my opinion Davis will end up being the primary backup at both OG positions for Mike Iupati (LG) and Alex Boone (RG). Sure we will probably get the usual speech about how he is competing for a starting job, but if the 49ers did intend to start Davis they probably would have brought him in sooner to get the playbook down. I do think he makes an excellent backup option as you basically have to expect a lineman or two to go down throughout the season. I am a little worried about the 49ers depth at OT however.

49ERS NEW OG - LEONARD DAVIS
With the 49ers being such a run heavy team I think this definitely plays in to Davis' hands as I don't think too highly of him as a pass blocker.  I think he is a backup option at best so in that capacity I think this was a very solid signing for the 49ers. Keep an eye out for "Big" when Roman + Harbaugh decide to bring him in on those incredibly important 3rd/4th and 1 situations along with goal line plays too. With his size and power he should be able to move some defensive linemen out of the way for the RB's. 


As for the 49ers OL depth, expect them to maybe look in to the veteran Free Agent market at some point during Training Camp for competition as the backup OT option.


Over and Out.

2 comments:

  1. Yo Kalen..its jrg..this may sound silly, but you and I both know Harbaugh is never scared to do something crazy. Could you imagine bringing in Davis for Boone..Sopoaga in at FB (like he did last year)..and Brandon Jacobs in the back field? That formation would destroy some people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could see Harbaugh doing that. I could see that formation, and then like a play action bootleg for Alex or maybe play action and a pass to Vernon or something even. Catch the defense off guard

    ReplyDelete