Sunday, August 14, 2011

Up and Coming QB's

By Kalen Patrick

I want to take a look here at some of the younger QB's who I like a lot going forward. When I say young QB's I mean rookies and QB's entering their sophomore year. Obviously the biggest names are going to be Sam Bradford and Cam Newton based on them being #1 overall picks in 2010 and 2011 respectively. While Bradford seems destined for stardom, Newton is a major major question mark. On the one hand you could see him turning in to a Donovan McNabb/Warren Moon type player but just as easily could turn in to a better version of Jamarcus Russell.

I like Newton in that he does seem to have a much much better work ethic, and he does have better weapons around him in Carolina. He has a great rushing tandem in DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart behind him, and notable weapons in Steve Smith, Greg Olsen and Jeremy Shockey. I think Newton is in a very solid position to succeed, however, he is just too much of a question mark going forward to go either way. If I had to guess I say he makes an early impact in the NFL, but fades out after 5+ years.

A QB who I think deserves a lot more talk is Colt McCoy of the Cleveland Browns, he just has the look of a very very solid NFL QB. I think he can really turn in to a Matt Hasselbeck/early Tom Brady type QB. Don't expect too many 4000+ yard seasons. But he will be efficient, make the plays when you need them and win you games, and isn't that ultimately all you can ask for?

COLT MCCOY HAS THE LOOK OF A WINNER
As for a look at the other rookie QB's besides Newton. It's difficult to tell so early on, but you can also tell when a rookie QB has the "look" of an NFL caliber QB. So far based of what I saw, I came away very impressed with Jake Locker, I think a year or so behind Hasselbeck in Tennessee and he (Locker) will be good to go. From his first performance against Minnesota, I see confidence in the pocket, always looking down the field, pocket presence and great touch on the ball.

JAKE LOCKER HAS THE LOOK OF A DEVELOPING FRANCHISE QB 
As for Gabbert, Ponder, Dalton and Kaepernick? Kaepernick looks a least a year away from starting games, he is a boom or bust guy, I liked how he wasn't hesitating and is extremely athletic and accurate. Just needs to make better decisions which can be taught. Gabbert and Dalton just don't seem to have it, especially Gabbert. Of these 4 QB's I like Ponder and Kaepernick the most in the long run.

These are my thoughts on the young QB's. Of course I may end up being 100% wrong on everything I say, but early on these are the impressions I have gotten and I can't wait to see how everything unfolds. Football is back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment