Friday, July 15, 2011

Off Topic: blink-182

By Kalen Patrick

For those that don't know me, I am a HUGE blink-182 fan and that would probably be the understatement of the century. Ever since I can remember I have been listening to them. Growing up in Ireland I always felt like blink were my way of connecting with the US. I imagined them being huge in the US (which they were) and imagined that countless kids like myself would listen to them night and day. Of course I was devastated when they broke up (or hiatus as they called it) happened. It was approximately 4-5 years that blink were apart. Various side projects like +44, Angels and Airwaves and the Transplants were good, but never came close to blink. It's weird, I can't remember where or when I heard they were back together but safe to say that day is up there among my favorite days.

Artwork for blink-182's new single 'Up All Night'

I have seen blink-182 live twice and will be seeing them for a 3rd time in October of this year. The first time I saw them was at the Point Depot in Dublin, Ireland. Funny, that was there last show together before they broke up, then I saw them play with Taking Back Sunday and Weezer at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, California. That show in Mountain View was a part of the best day of my life. I believe the date was September 13th, 2009. That Sunday, the Giants beat the Dodgers, the 49ers beat the Cardinals, then later was at the blink show. Best day, hands down, not even close.

My blink-182 tattoo, Artist: Justin - Let it Bleed, Polk St. San Francisco

EDIT: Tattoo now healed and looking awesome
blink-182 tattoo for your viewing pleasures


Now to the present, yesterday blink launched their first new song in approximately 8 years. From Take Off Your Pants and Jacket to the self titled album, blink matured like no other. The gap between those albums was only 2 years, this time around we are talking 8 years. These guys are in their mid 30's, things change, and so do people. The song 'Up All Night' is a great one, of course I am biased in my opinion, BUT when I don't like a song, I will say it. Example, there are quite a few Angels and Airwaves songs I don't like. But I love 'Up  All Night'. When I hear it, I get a mixture of Box Car Racer, Self Titled blink era and some angels and airwaves computer effects thrown in. Great song and I cannot express how excited I am for the album. It's gonna rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment