Monday, June 6, 2011

Reviewing the Day in Sports

What a busy Monday in Sports, you don't hear that too often, but today was jam-packed full of action. From the Stanley Cup Finals, NBA Head Coach  move and a bunch of Baseball, I'd say that is a great day. Lets get this started

NHL Stanley Cup Finals
The Boston Bruins were down 0-2 in the series to the Vancouver Canucks, I love hearing all the sports radio talk about how the series is over blah blah blah. Well guess what? Boston comes in today and kicks the Canucks ass 8-1. This game looked like it would be another nail-biter after the 1st period was scoreless, but then it was all Boston. By the end of the 2nd period the game was essentially over as the Bruins scored 4 goals. I was extremely glad to see the Bruins get back 1 game in this series. As I wrote in my post "NHL's Time to Shine" I really think Hockey needs an exciting 7 game series to get momentum going in to next year. I was glad also because I do have a soft spot for the Bruins, as much as people would say that all 7 games need to be close, I disagree, I think a blowout game like this can be great. It brings a lot of National attention when you hear a score of 8-1 in the Finals, people will come flocking to check it out when they hear these kind of scores.

Expect an action packed 7 game series between the Boston Bruins and Vancouver Canucks

Going forward in this series I do expect nothing less than an exciting 7 game series. I do think that the Bruins will eventually come back to win this series. Timmy Thomas looked great in goal tonight and can build on this and get hot, whereas Roberto Luongo, uhmm not so much. Hockey comes down to having a hot goalie and being able to eek out some goals. Boston to me has the advantage at goalie, while the Canucks have some great players in Kessler, and the Seguin twins, I think Boston will be able to get enough out of enforcer and talented Zdeno Chara, also guys like Mark Recchi and David Krejci are more than capable of getting the job done. Lace up your skates, put on pads, because the next 4 games are gonna be a heavy hitting, bumpy ride.

Mark Jackson lands with Golden State
The ESPN game announcer and former NBA Point Guard Mark Jackson has become the next Head Coach of the Golden State Warriors. Just when I thought the Warriors couldn't get any dumber, they go and TOTALLY REDEEM themselves. Well I don't know if I will go that far but I recently watched Dumb and Dumber and what to put that line in my blog somewhere. I really think this is a wait and see hire. You can look at the good and bad points to hiring a guy like Mark Jackson, he doesn't have any Head Coaching or Assistant Coaching experience in the NBA, however, he was able to play the PG position extremely well, which is essentially the coach on the court. One thing I did like hearing from the Warriors brass was that they are committed to surrounding Jackson with a great supporting cast.

     Does Mark Jackson have what it takes to be the Warriors Head Coach?

The Warriors seem determined to lure Mike Malone from the New Orleans Hornets to add to Jacksons staff. A guy the Lakers are reportedly very interested in and have already interviewed. Mark Jackson will do a great job with both Steph Curry and Monta Ellis (assuming neither are traded), and according to ESPN experts, expect the Warriors to play much better defense with an up-tempo offense. I like the sound of that. While I am a bigger Bulls fan, the Warriors being the local team are definitely my Western Conference Team. I want to see the Warriors be competitive, I want the Bay Area to have a winning Basketball team but changes not just to the coaching staff need to be made.

Look, I as much as anybody love watching the Curry - Ellis combo but I just don't know if it will ever work. This will be the first challenge of the owners and new coaching staff, what to do with these two players. Do you keep both and hope they can form a winning Guard tandem? Or try and build a more conventional team? I will touch on my opinions of this in a future post. Leave comments on what you guys would wanna do with the Warriors if you were in charge?

MLB
Here come the Detroit Tigers! The Cleveland Indians had a great great start to the season, and by all means are still having a good year being 8 games above .500 with a record of 33-25. However, their once huge lead in the AL Central is all but gone now that the Tigers have been playing excellent ball. The Tigers crushed the Rangers today 13-7 lead by Brennan Boesch who has 2 HR's, 5 RBI and went 5-6, to improve their record to 32-27. The Indians once had an 8 game advantage, it's now down to 1.5 games and this will be an exciting race all through the Summer. In other news the Milwaukee Brewers just completed a 4 game sweep of the Florida Marlins in Florida. Zack Greinke had an outstanding performance for a Milwaukee team which has been red hot as of late.

Tim Lincecum is a World Champion, 2 time Cy Young Winner and now has 1000 K's in less than 5 full seasons. Impressed?

Would like to end off by Congratulating Tim Lincecum by getting his 1000th career Strike Out today. The Freak joins some big company by getting his 1000th K, in only his 5th year in the Majors, and we all know he has a lot more of those to come, not only this year but for the foreseeable future. Matt Cain is only 31 K's away from reaching 1000 himself, next up for the Giants will be Jonathan Sanchez who will probably get there by the end of the 2012 season. That's all for now, I am out.

Thanks for reading, be sure to check in on the blog daily, vote on the polls, add comments, follow the blog and also spread the word. I appreciate all the help.

No comments:

Post a Comment