Wednesday, June 22, 2011

NFL - Crazy Times Ahead

By Kalen
In recent reports from reputable sources like ESPN's Chris Mortensen and SI's Peter King, all indications are the talks between the NFL Owners and Players Association have been very positive. It has been speculated that a deal could be reached and Free Agency could be upon us in mid-July. If this happens, well let the craziness begin!

The Free Agency period is always a crazy time of year, but this year it would be magnified 10 fold. Teams will be scrambling to sign their draft picks, re-signing their own potential free agents, looking in to signing undrafted rookie free agents and then of course bringing in other teams free agents. And for the cherry on top, players and coaches will be extremely busy planning Training Camp practice sessions and in the film room all day. So now I wanna give my thoughts on some of the burning questions many people will have. Lets do this.

Question #1
Which rookies (defense and offense) will have the biggest and most successful impact?
Offense: Julio Jones WR - Atlanta Falcons. Jones basically has everything going for him, he is in by far the best situation to succeed compared to any other rookie. He has a very talented franchise QB throwing to him, the Falcons already have well established veteran weapons in Roddy White, Tony Gonzalez and Michael Jenkins and they have a great Offensive Coordinator in Mike Mularkey. While we can argue how much it cost the Falcons to land Jones, I absolutely envision a big season for the rookie. If I had to guess I'm thinking he has approximately 900-1000 yards and 5+ TD's. Teams won't be able to matchup with the Falcons receivers and I also predict for Matt Ryan to have best season by far as a pro.

JULIO JONES IS A PERFECT FIT FOR THE FALCONS
Defense: Aldon Smith OLB/DE - San Francisco 49ers - In a recent post, I talked about how initially the pick seemed like a headscratcher, but in fact Aldon looks to be in a perfect situation to succeed. He will be the Demarcus Ware/Clay Matthews of the defense, his responsibility will be to get the QB or go where the ball goes. And I think he will be damn good at it. Of course being a 49er fan my opinion is biased but I don't care, he is not even close to being the focus of an opposing OC, and should be able to make many plays. It's too tough to predict tackle numbers, but I think he shocks the NFL world by attaining 10+ sacks and help the 49ers have one of the top defenses in the league.

Question #2
Where will Nnamdi Asomugha end up?
To answer this question, lets ask ourselves some other questions, what team has an obvious need at CB, has money to spend and is gonna be competitive right now? OK so the team I am going to say is more a team that is projected to be competitive. I'm gonna throw a curveball and say the Detroit Lions make the move to bring in Asomugha. Can you imagine that defense then? Suh, Fairley anchoring the line with arguably the best CB in the backfield. The Lions need help in their secondary, especially at CB. Asomugha is as shutdown as they come and would help tremendously in stopping the pass happy NFC North opponents. The Lions are most peoples surprise team, but if they add Asomugha they won't be sneaking up on anybody. Other possible destinations include: Baltimore, San Francisco, San Diego, Pittsburgh.

WOULD GOING TO DETROIT BE A WISE MOVE FOR NNAMDI ASOMUGHA?
Question #3
Where will the following QB's play in 2011; Carson Palmer, Kevin Kolb, Donovan McNabb and Kyle Orton?
Lets take it in the order I posted, if you guys have checked out my older posts, you'd already know my answers to Palmer and Kolb, I will keep it short, Palmer goes to Arizona and Kolb goes to Seattle. Both teams need franchise quality QB's and those QB's fit their potential respective teams perfectly. As for McNabb? I think he ends up in Minnesota. I don't think you wanna throw Ponder to the wolves just yet. McNabb can suffice for most of 2011 and give them a fighting chance. I think Orton probably stays in Denver for this year. It's a big transition year in Denver and while Tebow looked well in his play time in 2011, you can't trade away Orton just yet until the new coaching staff knows and trusts Tebow to be 'the guy'.

These were all the questions I could think of right now, if anyone has any questions just let me know and I will try and give my best answer. It's great hearing some positive news about the NFL and I for one am sooooo ready for some crazy times ahead!

Kalen from the Sports Cave.
SPREAD THE WORD


No comments:

Post a Comment